Tuesday, October 31, 2006

MIDTERM EXTRAVAGANZA

It is that time of year again. No, I am not talking about the fluffy white stuff falling haphazardly from the cumulus clouds overhead. I am talking about Midterms. Instead of giving an exam ("what a snooze"), I am asking you to read a novel from...dun dun dun...THE BANNED BOOK LIST.

What I am asking you to do with this post is:

  1. Go to the following website: http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bbwlinks/100mostfrequently.htm
  2. Pick a novel. (At this point you may be saying, "Of my own choosing?!" YES! Indubitably yes! By now you are probabley sick of reading what I want to read. Take this chance to read what you want to read.)
  3. Every twenty or thirty pages, I want you to post your reaction to your chosen novel. (Here are a couple prompts: Do you feel this novel should be considered a "banned book?" What are some examples of situations, language, etc. where it is apparent the novel causes discomfort? Are people overreacting to its content?)
  4. Respond to others' posts. Ask your classmates questions about his or her novel. Do you see any connections to your novel and your peers' novels? Start discussions!

Posting counts as. . percent of your Midterm grade. The "Creative Cat" portion will count as the other. . percent.

Good luck and have fun!

3 comments:

Stephen Goss said...

I want to read Huck Finn, the greatest book of all time!
And I love this assignment!

Jordan said...

I would highly recommend "The Giver" by Louis Lowery. It's a great novel with some very interesting future concepts.

hannah louise said...

hey miss geist!!!!!
who is this assignment for?
it sounds pretty cool though.