Thursday, April 10, 2008

Smoking in Public

I have grown up during a time when the laws for smoking in public places have changed. At first, everyone was allowed to smoke in restaurants and bars. Then restaurants became conscious of people's dislike for smoking so they created designated seating areas where their smoking patrons could sit away from their non-smoking counterparts. Then legislation changed and absolutely nowhere in a publicly owned building could one smoke--bars, restaurants, break rooms.

I have mixed feelings. I mean, if a person goes to a bar and grille, it is sort of expected that people will smoke there. However, having experienced the non-smoking public places, I really like leaving and not smelling like smoke.

What do you think? Should people smoke wherever and whenever they want?

7 comments:

stupidgirl said...

i don't smoke but i think it is kind of crazy how the government has to tell people were they can and can not smoke. i guess its just because people dont have the common sense to go outside to smoke at a restaraunt were people dont want to smell smoke while eating.

~unsociable*molly~ said...

i grew up in a family of smokers.
my mother, my father ,my two sisters, my two brothers,all of my aunts and uncles and all but one of my four grand parents. When i had a problem with them smoking i would walk into another room. It is their choice to smoke. I believe that if a resturant,bar or any other public place has a sepparate room that has up to date ventalation systems should be able to allow smoking. if they are not endangering the lives of the non smokers with smoke it should be fine. it's just like the non smoker have a place to walk away to .

Jake the snake said...

I think its good that you can not smoke in restaurants and places where you eat and might want to take your kids or something. I think it should be okay to smoke in bars and places where people go to "have a good time" and where kids and un-protected-slash -non-grown-up individuals can't go.

L's Army said...

Segregation has always worked here. I grew up in a "smoking or non?" world, where you stated your preference, moved to your side of the restraunt, and that was that. But looking at it from the perspective of those waiting tables, I can see why smoking bans would be quite welcome.

So, for the sake of Annie the Bar-Wench, how about you just smoke your cigarettes outside? The fresh air will do your lungs some good. While you're at it, be sure to flick your ash into the face of an undesireable person. They're nature's ashtrays.

bees4everLOL said...

i dont have a problem with people smoking in the restaurant, but maybe other people do and think about the employes - secondhandsmoking and all that.

Levitas Navarius said...

Well I grew up with smokers and I too have a cigar everynow and then, but I must say that not having a punch of smoke around your head while your trying to eat is really nice. However the Government has no right to tell you where you can and cannot smoke.

seashell said...

Smoking is NASTY. I think its chill if you wanna do it on your own time like in your car or at home. Its not necessary for people to smoke while their eating...who does that?